Monday, February 20, 2012

1C Pattern Surfaces

I began this part of the project by extracting one of the triangular faces on the top part of the body of my guitar model, because I found it would be one of the more interesting geometries to mess around with.  I began with a series of sketches of star-like patterns created by duplicating and manipulating this form to create a two-dimensional star like surface.  I then duplicated that surface 9 times to form a 9-starred grid.

After doing so, I combined each individual surface to form one polygonal surface, then duplicated this form and moved it negatively in the Z direction to give it some spatial depth from its predecessor.  I then rotated this new 9 starred grid 45 degrees, which in plan view, creates a very interesting, somewhat abstract snowflake like pattern.
Here is an additional three dimensional view looking down on the two two-dimensional surfaces.

2 comments:

  1. The pattern seems most exciting in the image that has the star shapes overlapping. This implies that pushing the pattern to work as well in the third dimension as it does in the 2d image might improve its effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the pattern that you plan to plot on the 3D Printer? If so, make sure that the geometries of the 'stars' connect in some way or else you'll end up with a bunch of individual pieces. I am also a bit confused as to how this pattern originated from the original form that you derived from the guitar model.

    ReplyDelete